'Round the Table' Family Catechesis
What is the Bible? (4)
- To inspire in the child a greater love, knowledge and veneration of the Bible
- To orient the child in using the Bible
- To help the child to know how the Bible came to be.
- Bible http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/ _INDEX.HTM
- Power Point presentation “What is the Bible”
It would be very helpful to view with children the following BBC video clips:
1.Clip: What is the Bible 3:08:
- Where does the word “biblia” come from and what does it mean?
- How many languages was Bible translated to?
2. Clip: How did the Old Testament get its name? 1.44:
3. Clip: Stories of the Old Testament 4:30:
- Why David’s story is a special story?
- What the story of David and Goliath mean to Christians today?
4. Clip: Ten Commandments 1:37:
The continuation of the information is in
5. Clip: The contents of the Old Testament 01:11:
6. Clip: Dead Sea Scrolls 1:22:
7. Clip: New Testament 4:33:
8. Clip: The Acts of the Apostles:
9. Clip: The Marie Story about saving and buying a Bible:
British Library Page where the children can virtually examine handwritten Bibles:
WORK FOR CHILDREN AND PARENTS:
Please, read with children presentation “What is the Bible” having in front of you the Bible and referring to it while reading the presentation; for example: when reading about the Pentateuch, please find in the Bible the first five books, etc.
The questions are intended to help reading the presentation with attention and understanding. They are to initiate and to support conversation with children. Please, do not answer these questions in writing.
Children should memorize only the answers to the underlined questions.